½ cup shortening
1 & 1/3 cups sugar
2 & ¼ cups all-purpose flour
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
½ teaspoon salt
4 oz. melted unsweetened chocolate (if you are making chocolate cakes)
1 jar Sallie’s Greatest Strawberry + Basil, Blueberry + Lavender, Peach + Mint and Peach Pepper + Ginger jam
1 jar of lemon curd
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add shortening, milk, and vanilla. Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed. Add eggs to the mixture and beat 2 minutes more on medium. Scrape bowl and beat on high for 2 minutes until well blended.
NOTE: If making chocolate cupcakes add the melted chocolate.
Fill cupcake liners ½ to 2/3 full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in pan for 10 minutes and then cool completely on rack.
Use a Cupcake Corer (we used brand Cuisipro) to create a hole in center of the cupcake. Then fill with about 1 teaspoon of jam. Top with desired icing. Suggested combinations include:
- Chocolate cupcake filled with Strawberry +Basil jam iced with chocolate icing.
- Chocolate cupcake filled with Blueberry + Lavender jam iced with chocolate icing.
- Chocolate cupcake filled with Peach Pepper + Ginger jam iced with chocolate icing that has added crystalized chopped ginger.
- Vanilla cupcake filled with ½ teaspoon lemon curd and ½ teaspoon Strawberry +Basil jam iced with Goat Cheese icing.
- Vanilla cupcake filled with ½ teaspoon lemon curd and ½ teaspoon Blueberry Lemon + Thyme jam iced with Goat Cheese icing.
- Vanilla cupcake filled with 1 teaspoon Peach + Mint jam iced with Goat Cheese icing.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and fruit combinations.
Goat Cheese Icing:
8 oz. softened goat cheese
½ cup butter softened
4 – 5 cups confectioner’s sugar
Beat goat cheese and butter until smooth; gradually add sugar until light, fluffy and the desired spreading consistency.
1 cup butter softened
4 ½ cups confectioner’s sugar
1 ¼ cup baking cocoa
½ teaspoon vanilla
½ cup milk
Cream better, gradually add confectioner’s sugar, cocoa and vanilla. Add enough milk until icing reaches spreading consistency.
NOTE: If making Chocolate Peach Pepper + Ginger cupcakes add ¼ chopped crystallized ginger to icing.